I’m Over It

I am officially over it.

Not everything, just some things. It’s good to know it and say it.

*First, purses and high heels.*

No thanks.

Currently I carry a backpack. This fact makes me want to toss my hair and laugh maniacally. HAHAHAHAHA! Take that, Kate Spade! I’m like a student again. An old mom student with my grey knapsack containing a wallet, phone, keys, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, spectacles, and lots and lots of gum to assuage the wildebeests when we have to wait in line for something.

Also, flats. You are my friend. I’m taller than most dudes when I wear heels, so why?

*Second, I’m over being embarrassed by my boys’ behavior.*

Today Jack freaked out when I tried to put a jacket on him as he walked out the door for school. To give me the what for, he picked up the last remaining pumpkin on the porch—the really bumpy, warty one—and threw it down the steps. The stem broke off, the pumpkin rolled through the dead marigolds in the front yard, and continued rolling into the street and down the hill. I’m not sure how far it traveled in the gutter. Jack’s bus driver and aide and all the kids on the bus watched this happen and I totally couldn’t care less.

Just another Tuesday morning at our house. Watch out for squash, my friends, they sometimes get launched.

*Third, I’m done with the social stigma of mental health issues.*

Mental illness is a real thing you guys, like diabetes and heart disease. It’s not a sign of weakness. It can’t always be treated with diet, exercise, essential oils, and a positive attitude. It usually takes prescription meds, therapy, and a whole lot of support from loved ones.

And even then, it doesn’t go away. This is not for lack of trying. It (hopefully) just gets to point where it can be managed, lived with, handled to some extent. I’m totally over any other approach than this to mental health problems.

It’s just life. And it’s a good adventure.

*And finally, I’ve bid adieu to holiday stress.*

Sorry, but no. I refuse to be stressed about the most wonderful time of the year.

The thing about Thanksgiving and Christmas with special needs children is this: you have to figure out what works for you and do that.

I did away with neighbor gifts and teacher gifts and the friend gifts and the grown-up sibling gifts years ago. Now we stick with Christmas cards. The end.

Life is better when you say sayonara to some things.

6 comments for “I’m Over It

1. Suzy
    November 18, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Amen to pretty much all of this but especially the mental illness bit. So very done. The illustration at the end of this article cracks me up but…so much truth.

2. ann cannon
    November 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

Yup. I love it. I’ll never be over you!

3. laura
    November 19, 2014 at 11:47 am

You are my Christmas hero!! ( I’m over the word heroine)

4. laurie
    November 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm

What a great example. Thank you for speaking sanity about the holidays and cutting out all the truly unnecessary things that actually make the holidays a time that people dread and hate. Also, thank you for your honest writing about families with special needs children. Your writing has helped me have a different and better perspective and it has also helped me begin to understand what my niece is going through with her special needs son while trying to find time to be a mother to her other three children.

November 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I’m over so very many things. Like teenage daughters locking themselves in their rooms and not speaking politely when they do crawl out to get something to eat. I didn’t say that in public here, did I? Oh, I did? Sigh.

I am also so very very very over mental illness. But it is just annoyingly sticking around. All freaking around. It just keeps creeping up to bite me in the butt.

I wanted to write a very whiny blog post today. But I wrote this instead. Thanks for the outlet. XOXO

6. Mary
    November 29, 2014 at 10:09 am

I love your comment about mental illness not being cured by alternative methods. Just last night I was regaled with evidence on how just cutting all sugar and grains out of my already picky son’s diet would take care of any problems he has. (Also, anyone who has any mental illness.) I know this person (whom I am related to) meant well and he thought he was being helpful, but . . . no. The only thing that would accomplish is making my already underweight son hospitalized for anorexia. Seriously. I also hate it when people tell me I just need to take my son off of meds and give him essential oils. They have unintentionally made me very anti-oils, and now whenever I see an essential oil I want to throw it off the person’s head. That felt good to get off of my chest :). Oh, and about the “I’m over” bit – I am over caring what other people think when my son blurts out inappropriate comments (or I am trying to be anyway).