Normal Things

Charlie wailed before getting on the bus this morning, “Baby gets to stay home all day with you!” He was anxious about his class trip to the bowling alley. Bowling is scary when it’s the unknown.

I think Charlie’s dream day would be French toast and sausage for breakfast, nowhere to be, unlimited Xbox, GoGurts for lunch, all the neighborhood kids showing up to play in the afternoon, and altruistically passing out candy to everyone in sight. Charlie is a benevolent six-year-old. He wants to give everything away.

Truman’s dream day would include Grandma, train sets, and hummus. He’s three, so most days are dreamy.

My dream day could take many forms. Napping on the beach. Hiking in some Northern European country. Walking through a museum or a historic neighborhood at my own pace. Reading under my down comforter. Lunch at Copper Onion and dessert somewhere, eating something lemony and buttery with lots of whipped cream. Going to a writing workshop. Seeing a friend and spilling our lives to each other. Taking a walk at the cabin.

The last few days have felt pretty perfect. Making beds, folding laundry, cooking food, cleaning up, walking to the park, writing, buying groceries, reading, talking to the thirteen-year-old, squeezing the six-year-old, watching the three-year-old play trains, patting the bed next to me and sitting with Jack who is calm and sweet and happy again.

It’s awfully nice to do normal things and appreciate that they are lovely and boring.

Describe your perfect day, please. I want to know.

7 comments for “Normal Things

1. laura
    February 6, 2015 at 6:05 pm

My perfect day sounds like your perfect day with the substitution of peanut buttery for lemony. We must do lunch!

2. February 6, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Reading a well-written book that doesn’t keep me awake worrying about the main character! But then again, that’s a change from stressing over the non-fiction people in my life!

3. ann cannon
    February 6, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I think a perfect day for me would be lying on the beach with sea breeze and sun, followed up by tacos on the patio and laughs to follow.

4. Louise Plummer
    February 7, 2015 at 10:12 pm

My perfect day is going to the Kunsthistoriche Museum in Vienna and sitting under the gorgeous dome to eat pastries. The art is pretty good too.

5. Jen
    February 8, 2015 at 9:26 am

My perfect day would involve a trip to see a fabulous play at the theatre, an amazing dinner I didn’t make myself, a beach, sunshine, a book and MAYBE my husband. Maybe.

6. February 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Sitting in the sun and feeling good, not nauseous. Perfect days are relative.

February 9, 2015 at 9:23 pm

My perfect day would not be Monday. It would begin late in the morning. Maybe it would involve lunch with someone who knows me. Maybe I would take a long, bubbled bath. I would read, write, sit in sunshine, eat dark chocolate, laugh, shop, or create something pretty. And if it’s not any if those things, maybe it’s just a day wherein I finish a task–any task–without being interrupted!