Dreaming in Chocolate

I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but this blog has unofficially become my Dream Analysis Blog. And also the Spiritual Journey (yes, I know—there’s that loaded word again) Blog. I’m simply saying I recognize this. It’s happening and I’m going with it.

With that preamble, let’s get to it.

The other night, I dreamed I was eating an enormous brownie topped with a dollop of whipped cream. I really love a good brownie—dense and chewy. And rich.  In my dream, I tried to stretch the whipped cream, because you know, whipped cream. I always want more.

Then I noticed that on the same plate, right next to the brownie, was an enormous mound of surplus whipped cream. The extra whipped cream was larger than the brownie itself.

If you’re analyzing my dream, as I always do, then perhaps you will come to the conclusion that I am indulgent with sugar, dairy, and chocolate. All of these assumptions are correct.

Nevertheless, it’s a bad idea to assume things about people. They might surprise you and be completely different from your assumptions.

Anyway. Brownie dream.

I came to a different conclusion, which is:

God loves me. He gives me figurative brownies.

When I am quiet and still enough, I can see a decadence, a richness of good gifts in my life.

There is a surfeit of strength. A profusion of solace.

I dreamt of chocolate because God knows it’s my love language.

Dutch. Our boys. Jack’s new Man Therapist, and Lacey, our behaviorist, who both take literal hits from Jack and keep coming back. Our respite sitter. The psychiatrist and pediatrician. My listening friends. My Savior.

So many people in my life are the brownie.

God whispered in a dream that the whipped cream in my story is resilience. It’s acceptance, humor, and discernment. He’s giving all of this to me.

There’s enough and to spare.

6 comments for “Dreaming in Chocolate

March 29, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Now I want chocolate. Maybe I’ll have to go get some. Cause there’s always enough and to spare.

2. March 29, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I’m with Blue. Now I want a delicious, made from scratch (where you melt the chocolate in the double broiler, ooooo), brownie.

3. March 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I’m glad you’re back.

4. Jennifer
    March 31, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Delicious. Thank you for sharing these insights and for helping me consider the brownies and whipped cream in my own life. Love you!

5. April 1, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I dream dream dream every night, not just some times – ALL the time. And I remember my dreams upon waking. Now, if I don’t chat or write about my dream, it fades, and so if I have put particular good, funny, meaningful, interesting or scary dream, I tell Gary about it. Sometimes my dreams scare him as he thinks I am channeling Stephen King, but most of the time, the night-time adventures entertain me and him. Sometimes, they comfort me, like your chocolate dream. I have enjoyed 2 dreams about my mom and dad since her passing. And they have been warm and wonderful!

One more thing: Professors Lupin and Pomeroy gave chocolate to the Hogwarts’ students after they were around the Dementors, guards at Askaban! Just saying. Hugs.

6. Nevada Garza
    May 30, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Hi Megan. I am a little behind on reading your blog. I just wanted to know what you ask for to get more respite support in the form of someone that accompanies you to doctor’s appointments, etc. I do have DSPD. I need to know what specifically to ask for?