Charlie’s Day

Charlie was baptized today. This culminated six months of verbal and emotional preparation for a kid with so. much. anxiety over social events, being the center of attention, and experiencing pressure to perform.

We talked about following Jesus. Charlie asked why Jesus lives in outer space. We watched, several times, the video of Jesus being baptized. Charlie asked why Jesus has a beard. We talked to the bishop. Charlie asked the bishop if there are dinosaurs in heaven. Henry and Charlie walked inside the empty baptismal font a few days before and H told Charlie all about his baptism years ago. Charlie asked if I was baptized a long time ago (answer: yes). We practiced what would happen when he was baptized. Charlie asked if the water would be overflowing the font (answer: no). We showed him the towel my friend Shirley embroidered with his name and the date, and told him his dad would wrap it around him when they stepped out of the water.

Charlie said he wanted to be baptized.

We stripped the baptism ritual down to its basic structure. We cast off the talks and the musical numbers, the prelude and interlude music, and the big family celebration, keeping only a prayer, and the actual ordinances.

It took ten minutes. Just our bishop, our neighbor/high councilor, and Jeff’s parents were in attendance, in addition to my little family plus Junior and Sye, my two other honorary guys.

There were so many things that could have gone pear shaped. I envisioned Jack tossing things in the font, or even getting in for a brief swim. I pictured Jack having a meltdown complete with bellowing and hitting. I hoped Charlie wouldn’t dissolve into sobs.

Here’s what actually happened: everything went perfectly.

You could say this is because we planned it to work for our family’s needs. We let Jack wear his inside-out-and-backward Star Wars tee, and we let him bring the shop vac. We didn’t make him pose for pictures. We kept it short and quiet. We insisted on simplicity.

But the flawless baptism wasn’t a result of us thinking in specific terms of survival.

After today, I feel that God surely helps flawed peope (like us) when we hand him our meager little offering with sincerity.

11 comments for “Charlie’s Day

April 9, 2016 at 11:16 pm

This made my heart feel peaceful. And that’s saying something.

2. Talia
    April 10, 2016 at 12:17 am

I love this. You focused on what was truly important and let the rest go, forgetting about what’s expected or holding onto an idea of what everything should be like. I love that it was so simple and peaceful and perfect. Beautiful writing as always, Megan!

3. Mischa Parco
    April 10, 2016 at 2:09 am

I’m so glad you could enjoy this perfect day with your family Megan. What a tender Mercy. Thank you for sharing your real experiences and testimony. I love the simplicity and your focus on your kids’ needs.

4. Barb
    April 10, 2016 at 10:38 am

Thank you for sharing this special day for your family. I’m so glad it went well, and I know that your “meager offering” was actually very big and meaningful and cherished.

5. DTiek
    April 10, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I’m so so happy it went well. I felt the simple sweet spirit through your words. So glad it worked. I prayed during the time, from California! Love you.

6. Jennifer
    April 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

So, so wonderful! A memory to be cherished forever!

7. Julie M
    April 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I’m so very, very happy to read this. I especially love that you kept it so simple–something for me to consider in a couple of months. And this seems like such a worldly comment–but I really love your dress.

8. April 10, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I say we should all toss the pomp & circumstance out the window for these. Or at least keep those talks on baptism and the holy ghost to 2 minutes.

Did you at least snag a picture of Jack with his shop vac, besides just the foot photobomb?

I love how Henry helped out!

9. Leigh Lockwood
    April 13, 2016 at 8:40 am

I am so happy for Charlie!
    I am so grateful I was able to be his Primary teacher. He is such a sweetheart. His smile just warms my heart.

10. Melanie
    April 15, 2016 at 10:51 am

You radiate the peace, happiness and contentment you’ve been talking about in your posts. Thank you!

11. Sara
    July 13, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I love reading your blog. Keep it up girl!